Skip to main content

Untitled

I

"Darling", said my truest love,
"Tell me that you love me."
So I told my truest love
That she was loved by me.

"Don't give me words, you cheeky man,
You're good at them I say.
Show by action how you can
Your love for me display."

"I knew it coming, dearest dear,
So do not twist to rhyme.
Tell me what you want to hear.
What do you want this time?"

"I don't want any diamonds. No,
I already have many.
Nor to any foreign country go;
You haven't that much money."

"I'll take you once to Pretoria,
To
China and The Rhine
And at the Waldorf-Astoria
In splendour we shall dine."

"You can take me to Washington
All in the course of time.
But lets get to the Sheraton
And have French food and wine."

"I love you dear, I really do.
I swear it love of mine!
But one month's pay, and next month's too
For fancy cheese and wine!"

"I knew you'd say this all this while;
My wishes you never heed.
Please me with flowers and a smile,
You think that's all I need."

"You're allergic to flowers, love.
I dare not give you any.
But for you my precious dove,
I shall not spare a penny.">/span>

So at the Sheraton we dine
With my heart in my hands.
Oh! This lovely fool of mine,
She never understands!

II

"I shall have some Beaujolais
And truffe aux champignons.
And he will have the Chardonnay
With légumes Parisiennes."

"You must have everything you wish,
O verse from the Rubai'at!
But to want the most expensive dish,
Is what is called 'Qayamat'."

"I am the reason why you live
Or do you disagree?
It is not very expensive,
Just one month's salary!"

"I'll have to live on cabbages,
Sandwiches and weak tea.
Your wild fancy ravages
My tenuous solvency."

"I make capital cabbage stew,
I brew very good tea.
I'll make you some sandwiches too.
Enjoy your bankruptcy!"

The dishes come and I begin
To eat my final meal.
But my love for her is put again
To yet one more ordeal.

She eats so very daintily;
Her style is prettier still.
She also eats to scantily;
She has soon had her fill.

"The truffle's good, but not my taste,
I should have had Swiss cheese.
I'm sad to see such food go waste
But it's too rich in Calories!

My friends had been raving why
I must try out this food.
But I'm annoyed that it's priced so high;
It's not at all that good!

Three morsels are all I can eat,
So you can have the rest.
It has been such a lovely treat.
You really are the best."

"You are my pretty ocean-pearl,
My soul's one destiny.
But do not inflict on me, girl,
Such heartless tyranny."

"I'm sorry, dear, I really am.
But I can eat no more.
Cheer up, my manly ram
And do not be so sore.

My hero, I am happy now
That I am loved by you.
I must repay the favour now,
What do I do for you?"

"You are all I ever need,
I care not for the rest.
But do me one little deed
And put my heart at rest."

"I know what you're hinting at;
It is always the same.
It is not tough to predict that;
Love is an easy game!"

"I am not keen on love-display;
I'm too tired for that.
Love me in a better way:
Please

Please

Please.........eat that!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's complicated

She's complicated. She'll charm you with charts, statistics and that corporate smile. But look into those eyes, they're fiercely bohemian. She's complicated. Her chatterings seem to resonate with happy sounds, but listen with the other ear, to an unhidden lament. She's complicated. Her silences agonise, her voice echoes in her absence. And yet there is a mild dread as her name flashes on the ringing phone. She's complicated. Sometimes she's a poetess, shallow, romantic, trying to hide a sardonic, world-weary wit. She's complicated. She could be a spiteful Fury, wrath unabated, but that's just to hide the lamb-hugging girl within. She's complicated. She's an enchantress, a fool, a tyrant, a nurse, an imp, a priestess, but she's generally a good friend. She's complicated. Published in Making Waves - A Poetry Anthology , ed. Pam & Bill Swyers; Swyers Publishing 2011. ISBN: 978-0-9843113-6-1.

Fit

 What we are is a jigsaw pieces that come together searching for edges that match some we know will never sit: a sideways glance, a crush, a lifelong regret; some we think will last, but no we stick around a while and then we know we are meant for other things, other people, other places but mostly just being othered some of us are corner pieces who know where we are and who will come to find us eventually I can only wish I was that and some of us are that piece that doesn't fit neither color nor shape nor corner we force it sometimes, set it aside for some later unfulfillable hope until it is too late to realise we were left over from another puzzle, with only the longing to fit, to belong, to be included

Dusk & Dawn

Sometimes it is hard to know, which is dusk and which is dawn. For was the day a mere eclipse, careening into the blackness of unending night? ...Or is night but an eye-blink, waiting for the light to come, first in trickles, and then in torrents? Sometimes it is hard to know, which is dusk and which is dawn.