Skip to main content

How To Sharpen A Machete

Never let bloodstains dry on the blade; they
dull its keenness, you cannot cut smoothly
and will need four or five clumsy strokes. Wrap
sandpaper around the handle, so that
sweat doesn't loosen grip, else hacking off
limbs becomes tiresome. Rub grit on the
blade, sand with vigour - first with coarse, then fine
paper - till the surface is evened. Make
sure every inch from tip to hilt has sparked
on the whetting-wheel. It should cut away
arms in clean, efficient strokes. Rub down the
edge with hemp and linen, till it neatly
severs the spine in one graceful swing. Then
rub down hard, first with a cotton rag, then
silk, Rub keen till it rends the soft skin of
the abdomen elegantly. Rub last
with satin and dacca muslin. Then you
will have an edge so sharp, you can gouge out
eyes with the most delicate of movements.
That is how you sharpen a machete.

Comments

Anonymous said…
whooops !!!!
tht was fierce I should say !
what are u planning? *wink*
Ozymandias said…
Thanks!

Nothing being planned, just a line of thought from my ealier 'poem' Nellie, 1983.

Popular posts from this blog

She's complicated

She's complicated. She'll charm you with charts, statistics and that corporate smile. But look into those eyes, they're fiercely bohemian. She's complicated. Her chatterings seem to resonate with happy sounds, but listen with the other ear, to an unhidden lament. She's complicated. Her silences agonise, her voice echoes in her absence. And yet there is a mild dread as her name flashes on the ringing phone. She's complicated. Sometimes she's a poetess, shallow, romantic, trying to hide a sardonic, world-weary wit. She's complicated. She could be a spiteful Fury, wrath unabated, but that's just to hide the lamb-hugging girl within. She's complicated. She's an enchantress, a fool, a tyrant, a nurse, an imp, a priestess, but she's generally a good friend. She's complicated. Published in Making Waves - A Poetry Anthology , ed. Pam & Bill Swyers; Swyers Publishing 2011. ISBN: 978-0-9843113-6-1.

Fit

 What we are is a jigsaw pieces that come together searching for edges that match some we know will never sit: a sideways glance, a crush, a lifelong regret; some we think will last, but no we stick around a while and then we know we are meant for other things, other people, other places but mostly just being othered some of us are corner pieces who know where we are and who will come to find us eventually I can only wish I was that and some of us are that piece that doesn't fit neither color nor shape nor corner we force it sometimes, set it aside for some later unfulfillable hope until it is too late to realise we were left over from another puzzle, with only the longing to fit, to belong, to be included

Rat

I'm a rat, I'm a rat, I scurry and I bite, I eat what I get, And I fuck and I fight, I dodge the black crows, I run from your shoes, But I'm old or sick, you'll trample over me.